Over the years Milton residents have reported the unwelcome smell from the Sewage Works, and in the last 12 months we seem to be suffering more from smells from the Landfill Site and the Household Waste Recycling Centre to the west and north west.
If the smell is definitely from the Sewage Works you should contact Anglian Water on their hotline 08457 145145. Say that the smell is from the Cambridge Water Recycling Centre, Cowley Road.
The other sources are regulated by the Environment Agency.
- Ring the EA Hotline on 0800 80 70 60. You will speak to a real person, and they have been answering quite quickly. They may send someone out straight away, so don't wait to report the smell.
- You will be asked for your name, address and a contact number.
- You will be asked where you think the smell is coming from. Don't guess, but give as much information as you can about the nature of the smell. To the west of the village, Milton Landfill Site and the Household Waste Recycling Centre are on Butt Lane, Milton. The postcode for both is CB24 6DQ. If you think the smell is coming from the south, give the address Cambridge Water Recycling Centre, Cowley Road. If the wind is from the NW, you may be smelling the recycling centre at Landbeach on the A10 (Amey Cespa).
It doesn't matter if you don't know the wind direction, call the Environment Agency anyway.
- You will be asked to rate the smell 1 - 6 (6 being the worst)
- You will be asked for any other details, impacts on your life such as any feelings of nausea or headache, if you had to close windows or if you were woken up at night
- Please make a note of your Incident Number.
- You can also ask to be kept informed of progress with tracking down the problem.
- Please also log the Incident Number on the (very quick) 'Village Ponglog' at this link: South Cambridgeshire District Council also said they would find this logged data extremely helpful when investigating odour incidents.
We need your help to prove that residents are experiencing these odours, so your participation is vital to improving the environment in Milton. If you have already reported odours to the Ponglog and/or the Environment Agency, THANK YOU. Please keep reporting and logging! The smells come and go and it is important that we record every occurrence.