The War Memorial
The war memorial is located on the corner of Coles Road and Fen Road. Originally erected to remember the dead of the Great War it now commemorates the following villagers who died in the two world wars. There is also a memorial in the parish church, which contains a slightly different list of the dead of the 1914-1918 war.
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
– From For The Fallen by Laurence Binyon
The war memorial used to be on what is now the Ely Road, but was moved in the early 60s to make way for the new Ely Road.
Dedicating the memorial at its original location in 1922
A later photo, still at its original location